Research Scientist, Cancer Immunology
The successful candidate is responsible for the design and execution of target validation activities under the supervision of director of research operations to support therapy development efforts of Novasenta Inc., a UPMC Enterprises funded biotech startup.
Novasenta’s mission is to transform medicine by enabling innovative drug discovery at the interface of disease, immunity, and metabolism. Novasenta uses a next generation drug discovery approach combining unique experimental and computational tools to explore the human tumor microenvironment and discover novel therapeutically relevant targets and drugs.
- Be a critical thinker and familiar with recent developments in the field. Develop in-depth scientific knowledge in the area of research focus and contribute to assay/pipeline design and development.
- Design and conduct routine and non-routine lab procedures and assays for molecular, cellular and metabolic characterization of relevant samples from mouse models of cancer and human clinical cancer tissue under the supervision of Director of Research Operations and Principal Scientist
- Design flow cytometry (FACS) staining panels and perform FACS analysis on human and murine cells, tumors, and tissues
- Support the development of biological, immunological assay to investigate mechanisms of immune-mediated effects of novel identified targets
- Support the development and validation of new technologies for molecular, cellular and metabolic characterization of samples
- Contribute to the profiling and validation of novel druggable immunotherapy targets
- Maintain complete, accurate, and timely record of experiments and data analysis
- Supervise junior lab members. Provide scientific expertise and train/direct others in research techniques
- Actively participates in the scientific dialogue of the group and proactively collaborates with colleagues
- Must be willing to work flexible hours as necessary, and work beyond 40hrs is likely to be required
- MS in biology, immunology or closed related field with 4+ years of experience in industry or academic research lab setting. Preferred PhD with similar background and 2+ years of relevant experience.
- Prior biopharma industry or commercial research experience desired experience with several of the following relevant techniques:
- Mammalian cell culture
- Flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, development of genetic constructs, cloning, etc.)
- NGS (WGS, WES or RNAseq, including preparation of genomic libraries)
- CRISPR or other advanced genetic editing techniques
- Processing and characterization of fresh human tumor samples
- Cell-based metabolic assays
- Ability to propose new experimental designs, plan and conduct laboratory experiments, and evaluate and interpret data
- Fundamental understanding of the process of discovery and development of immunology-based therapeutic targets and possible novel therapeutic concepts
- Experience in immuno-oncology-related animal studies is a plus
- The ideal candidate is product and goal oriented, focused on a career in biotech. They are highly efficient and organized and have a demonstrated ability to adhere to and follow defined timelines, milestone, and objectives.
- Experience in working under GLP standards and ensuring safety compliance under BSL-2
- Experience with laboratory information system (LIMS) is a plus
- Good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret, summarize, and present results in a clear, concise, accurate manner
To apply please send your resume to email@example.com.